We help you profit from your publishing!
Turn your current problems to profits and get techniques to help you in the future. Even Marion's most experienced clients have commented on how much they learn from every consult.
When do you need her? When you:
- Aren't as profitable as you'd like . . . and you don't know what to change.
- Want to improve the way you price your books.
- Face an unfamiliar type of deal, whether for
- subsidiary rights,
- buying or selling a company or an imprint, or a
- high volume/high discount special sale.
- Are mired in a tough negotiation, and you aren't sure about your approach.
- Start a new venture, whether it's founding a publisher, or launching a new type of publishing in an already successful firm.
- Have any other question about the business of publishing. Even if it's not in her area of expertise, she'll try to refer you to the right source.
Three Ways to Get Ahead
Consulting "By The Question"
Pay only for the advice you need. No expensive
ongoing fees…just solid answers that directly
address your immediate concerns - delivered in a clear and supportive way.
Marion Gropen personally handles all consulting assignments; you get
the benefit of her expertise at a very reasonable price.
Marion speaks to groups around the US, and also offers online courses. Both options offer very inexpensive ways to get a large amount of general information to help you run your company more profitably.
Save yourself hours of work by using Marion's ready-to-use, inexpensive
spreadsheet templates for profitability and pricing analysis.
While You're Here
The Reference Desk section of this site has articles to help you achieve success, reviews of books for publishers, and a comprehensive list of reputable suppliers in every aspect of publishing.
We're proud to announce that this site has been given a "Truly Useful Site" Award by the Preditors and Editors board. This valuable watchdog group can be found here and here.
We are a member of the Independent Book Publishers' Association.
About Marion Gropen, Principal of Gropen Associates
Gropen, MBA, has 18 years of experience in publishing, including
eight as the executive in charge of finance, accounting and operations
for Kodansha, a mid-sized publisher with $5 to 10 million/year
in sales - and five years with an imprint of
Simon & Schuster.
She has successfully guided these companies through major
changes such as:
- switching exclusive distributors
- selecting and implementing a new accounting system
- personnel re-organizations
Marion volunteers as a co-moderator for both the Self-Publishing
and Pub-Forum email communities.
Marion received her MBA, with honors, in Finance from NYU in 1992, while
working for a Simon & Schuster imprint. In 2003, she opened her own business, Gropen Associates, providing affordable
expertise and outsourced services to small and medium-sized